Sunday, August 10, 2008

Should I stay or should I go

Today is going to be the hardest day to date for me because I have to leave. Unfortunately the bills keep coming and I still have a child that also needs my attention. I've been told it's OK, Curt will have the best care and as he gets worse (which he will) the most experienced nurses will be assigned to him. I've been told his mouth will get worse and although I can't imagine that being possible, everything I've been told before has been spot on accurate. Eventually all Curt will be able to do is nod yes or no. So please don't be offended if he doesn't accept or pick up phone calls. I thought texting would be the better option but evidently, not so. He will experience what is called B16 which means his hands and feet will swell and he will not have any dexterity. This will go on for up to day+20 (he's at day +5 today). So as hard and frustrating as it will be, we won't be able to communicate directly with Curt for a few weeks. Again this is all perfectly normal and part of the sloughing off process. Are you thinking beautiful butterfly????

Curt is still keeping his sense of humor and trying not seem like he is in pain (I know better). He's been so brave through this entire process and I'm so proud of him. I asked about visitors and was told visitors are OK, however he won't be able to communicate so it's probably not the best timing. He also won't be able to access the blog for obvious reasons so for now it's time out; but only temporarily.

Roommate Robyn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curt, my little butterfly, I hope you're hanging in there all right, in spite of sounding more like Brundle Fly than the Madame variety, at this point. Although my messages have been nonexistent until now, know you're in my thoughts as often as Twinkies are in Fat Camp.

I am highly amused by the comments on your blog, mainly because I now realize my family isn't the most twisted one out there. Gotta love a little competition in putting the funk in dysfunctional. My admiration to all you genetically skewed CLs. I knew we got along for a reason...

So, my friend, in the words of our favorite Carpenter, "Don't eat that! You know you're just going to throw it up later!" Umm, I mean, "We've only just begun." Be strong, kid. I look forward to the day you traipse through my bird foot adorned door again.

xoxox

Anonymous said...

HI Curt,
Just in case you're up to hearing blog comments.....I'm sure you're thinking up some great comebacks for the nurses and it must be frustrating as hell to have a sore mouth! All things pass.....and I hope the pain subsides for you as the days go by--sending you hugs. Cheers,
Judith

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Curt, it's almost Friday! I heard a rumor your sweetie's on her way.....

Took an early morning hike at 5:30am yesterday, gorgeous sunrise on the granite cliffs, amazed at the tenacity of the little "rubber plant" succulents clinging to the cliffs at 8,500ft....reminds me of you! Will you help me pick out some cool succulents for our garden in SLO? I don't think I can kill those, butcha never know, given my gardening skills! cheers,
Judith

Anonymous said...

Swollen hands eh!? That means when you slap somebody (maybe an over- friendly nurse: 'Stop it, Fabian!')it'll have enough behind it to be consequential, and make that satisfying wet-towel-hitting-the-pavement sound. PFFFFFTLRUNXPTH! Try it on the donor next time he tries to fits his bullet head through the door!
The Little Buddies say psst psst psst, Lucy sez rawr, and you know what Frankie says!

Anonymous said...

Heeey,

How you doing buddy?? Just got a little update reading Robins note since you're busy getting better - and hey that's important too so you're forgiven for not writing...smiles...
I'm still in the middle of moving and I'm so looking forward to being done and for some well deserved vacation at the end of the month - well at least I think it is hahaha so Ray and I will probably do something whether I go there or he comes here so I'm really looking forward to that too!
So saturday is coming up and I don't know if you remember but Megan is getting married so I got my fance dress out and will see what I can do about looking fab hahaha so just picture most of us day nurses going - I'm sure we can stir it up a little hahaha I'm sure you have heard us at the nurses station sometimes during your stay hahaha it should be plenty of fun...
Otherwise I'm looking into going home to the old country for x-mas...so to be continued

Well Curt you hang in there okay I know you're gonna go through a rough time but just remember that the sun always shines above the skies....

Marianne