Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm baaaack...after a brief weekend romp to the land of the living - SLO - I returned to Stanford Sunday PM.
Monday 28: My first appointment was scheduled for 1200 so unlike the previous week when I had appointments at 0600, I was able to sleep in 'til 0930. I was treated to my last day of cranial radiation only to be replaced with full body radiation starting Tuesday at 0700. Now when I say "full body" it's actually from the waist up leaving the stems intact. In addition to radiation today I acquired yet another lovely accessory to replace my purse of week last. I now have what can be best described as a suitcase with a telescoping handle akin to those you see every fashionista/important person toting around the airport. Unlike the folks who carry clothing in theirs I have the privilege of toting around a 4000 ml bag of saline. Can it get any more fun? Why yes it can! As of today I have been promoted to mask wearer. As of this moment it is imperative I have my mask on whenever in public. Yahoo!

Tuesday 29: In to radiation at 0700. I had been warned of the nausea factor the radiation causes by many, but was not prepared for the instantaneous nausea. Following my first Total Body Infusion (TBI) at 0730, I went straight up to ITA for more fluids - and hopefully something to abate the nausea that was growing. Feeling sicker....given nausea meds....sicker....I finally gave in to the moment and shared my breakfast with my nurse. Funny thing is she wasn't as pleased with my gift as I was relieved to give it to her. Imagine that? And all this fun before 0900!
By 1130 I headed to my second dose of radiation but this time with less queasiness. Second round turned out much better.
Third round of radiation came at 1530 and was a cakewalk compared to the first. This will be my pattern for the next four days: radiation at 0730/1130/1530. Each session lasts approximately eight minutes. Unfortunately I'm unable to leave the premises whilst the docs evaluate my results so I'm stuck on grounds in a bed.
It's now approximately 1700 and we are officially done for the day. Until next time...

Again a big thanks to those who take the time to respond and or just yak. I appreciate it all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well damn- this sounds like more fun than a nominal caucasoid should be allowed to have. I hear marrow wanna (sic)is good for nausea. I kill me- you'd like to! I (inevitably) digress... so what are the docs looking for after the radiation- signs of life? How loud the geigrrrr counter can tick? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all this nukeage and posh accessorizing to prevent the return of the Former Sagittarius that is for the moment not detectably present? I'm not getting this. 'No shit' I imagine you saying- 'I am.'
C'est dommage, broham it sounds ruff. I guess you get to see Robyn this weekend; we get to annoy Ma. Lucky you, lucky us, lucky her.
#1 w/a bullethead

Jones Family said...

Curt,
Thanks to Robyn for keeping us all updated on your fashionable accessories. I really think there should be a picture included with some of these stories. Be nice to the nurses. We always talk about you on the night shift and send our best wishes your way! Many prayers! Emily Jones

Anonymous said...

Hey uncle! I'm checking out ur blog...something I've never really been in to, but for you....( :
I thought grandma was gonna be up there for like 3-4 weeks straight? I told her to let you know that I might be of assistance with the laptop ordeal. Let me know! I love u and will stay posted!
Hil

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mel just sent a message but it did`t go through for some unknow reason. So i am trying to see if it will work for me. Any way Curt we are all prying for you and to give your Mom strength in this whole matter.